Friday, April 07, 2006

ARE We The Great Satan?

I've had politics on my mind for the last couple of days. I've been listening to National Public Radio the last few days and I've noticed a recurring theme: The erosion of our civil liberties. Yesterday on THE EXCHANGE, Anthony Romero was being interviewed. He's head of the ACLU(American Civil Liberties Union). Later, on the Diane Riehm show, there was a piece on homeland security and someone called in to say that she was VERY concerned about the LACK of concern regarding the whole phone-tapping scandal. "Oh, but we're at WAR," they answer. "Our government is PROTECTING us." So in order to feel safe, we're just handing over the keys to our liberty. What a mess. The only consolation is that our beloved Commander-In-Chief King George makes a boob out of himself every time he opens his mouth. This whole thing is in the air. V FOR VENDETTA, for example. I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet but it IS something I will rectify when I return from Quebec. The catchphrase says it all: "People should not fear their government. The government should fear it's people." Even the comics I'm reading have these overreaching arcs regarding government control, conspiracies, and registration acts. Something is in the air...and walls are going up along borders. This is a scary time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home