Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Music Discussion With My Next-Door Neighbor-To-Be

On 11/1/06, G-- wrote: Hello, Bob... When it comes to music, despite tightening funds, I'm still finding ways to find more bang for the buck, as it were. That involves scoring on iTunes coupons, trawling the used cd bins at Newbury Comics, and taking advantage of special offers at BMG Music, the club that basically owns my soul. (Still waiting for my bargain-priced Loretta Lynn Box Set...You have any favorite bands, singer/songwriters/whatnot? Rock on...GaP ___________________________________________ Robert wrote: I was a Phishhead for years, eventually I got into virtually every genre, old and new. Mostly, I like Rock/Folk/Blues -Bob Dylan, Ween, The Who, Beatles, Talking Heads, Frank Zappa, Jerry Garcia, and a lot of Jazz (Wes Montgomerry, Miles Davis, Coltrane), Lauren has her own tastes, she has a very unique collection of Soundtracks, classical, 90s Rock, Ella Fitzgerald, celtic, rap, showtunes, and...oh yeah..Roxette. I stopped getting CDs a while ago, I realized I had a problem with the cd bins at Newbury. How about your favorites? ______________________________________________________________________ What problems? Quality of the discs? Scratches and whatnot? Just signed off of BMG Music, spending money I really SHOULDN'T be...These were the selections... Strummin’ With The Devil: The Southern Side Of Van Halen(Bluegrass) The DFA-The DFA Remixes Chapter One Various Artists Johnny Cash - Roots & Branches David Lee Roth actually contributes vocals for the Bluegrass Van Halen tribute so you KNOW that's worth a listen... Favorite bands off the top of my head(or artists) Aimee Mann(whom my roommate hates but he likes Andre Rieu so his opinion doesn't really count), Nada Surf, Morrissey, any GOOD electronica...but that's always a crapshoot to discover...hence much reading and listening to some iTunes radio to get a sense... I find that I discover bands but acquiring bargain-based compilations...one or two bands will prompt me to discover their other work and the domino effect will continue...Recent discoveries...Patrick Park, Joseph Arthur, Sufjan Stevens... Roxette. Yow. Still beats Celine Dion, however...(whose music I hate just for fun...) Later...GaP _______________________________________________________________ Robert wrote... My problems? I bought way too many, I digest a cd and move on to another a week later. I flooded my cd cases to the point where Lauren and I can't find any of the cds we want anymore. I had to cut down so I can listen to what I have! Bluegrass Van Halen, I gotta check that out. Are you a Roth fan or Haggar? Lauren has some great stuff that I never would have thought of getting (Cowboy Junkees?), she also has a bunch of Showtunes that I'm not a fan of (except the original recording of Jesus Christ Superstar which rocks! - the lead singer of Deep Purple was Jesus!) ________________________________________________________________ GaP wrote... Yeah, I used to have that problem...then it comes down to deciding what you really WANT. The beauty of iTunes and other online music stores is that it allows you to sample tracks inexpensively...AND I've been gathering together tracks that I've wanted but didn't actually want to buy the albums to...MAGIC(Mick Smiley) from the Ghosbusters Soundtrack for example....or MORE THAN THIS from Roxy Music. Cowboy Junkies are excellent but if you only have to get one, it's THE TRINITY SESSIONS. Regarding Van Halen...Both have cut some pretty decent tunes for the band...but when push comes to shove, it would be DL Roth... Which reminds me, there's a great song from NERFHERDER that pisses all over Van Hagar with it's VAN HALEN track...Damned funny... Catch you later...GaP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home